PhD Program Details
Major Transition Points
Admission and Enrollment
- Consult with assigned faculty advisor every semester for coursework planning.
- Select a research advisor by the end of first year of study.
Completion of Coursework and Comprehensive Exam
- Successful completion of coursework (except NURS 998 and NURS 999)
- Successful completion of comprehensive exams
- Advancement to doctoral candidacy (within six years of admission)
- Continued enrollment in NURS 998: Dissertation Proposal Development - Doctoral Dissertation Proposal in the fall and spring semesters for the duration of proposal development
- Approval of dissertation committee
- Successful completion of oral defense of the dissertation proposal
- Human Subjects Review Board approval
- Implementation of dissertation research
- Dissertation instructions
NURS 999 - Doctoral Dissertation
- Continued enrollment in NURS 999 during the fall and spring semesters for duration of dissertation research project. In addition, if dissertation defense occurs during the summer semester, the student must be registered for the summer NURS 999 course.
- Successful completion of oral defense of the dissertation
- Final approval of dissertation by Committee and PhD program coordinator
Submit Intent to Graduate
- Run your Degree Evaluation and apply to graduate in Patriot Web (registrar's graduation process instructions)
- Deadlines are outlined in the registrar's graduation timelines
- Graduation will be possible only if there are no holds on the student’s George Mason account. Therefore, it is imperative that students check for holds with the registrar’s office.
- Completion within nine years of first enrollment as a PhD student