Mason’s Accelerated Second Degree BSN program is a 12-month, full-time, pre-licensure program for applicants who will have earned a bachelor’s degree prior to the start of the program. The program provides successful applicants an opportunity to experience nursing in a variety of clinical settings throughout the National Capitol area. The program admits once a year in fall and spaces are limited, therefore the application process is highly competitive.
Application Deadline: January 15, 11:59 PM (EST)
Application and Eligibility Guidelines
- US-based, four-year, regionally accredited bachelor’s degree with a minimum 2.85 GPA
- Admission to Mason as an undergraduate, degree-seeking student
- At the time of BSN Application, you must have submitted a Mason Admission Application and received your Mason ID number (G number)
- You may receive your Mason Admission decision after applying to the BSN program; however, Mason admission is a requirement for BSN admission.
- Two of the three science nursing prerequisite courses (Anatomy, Physiology, and Microbiology)
- Complete by the date of application, and
- No more than five-years-old prior to enrollment in the program (refer to Nursing Prerequisite Requirements below)
- All other nursing prerequisite, Mason Core, and elective courses complete by the end of Mason’s spring term (May 20)
- No grade lower than C (not C-) in each nursing prerequisite, Mason Core, and elective course
- Minimum GPA of 3.0 in nursing prerequisite coursework
- Submission of responses to short answer questions (topic provided by the School of Nursing)
- Submission of resume
- Submission of the online BSN Application
Simply meeting the BSN Application prerequisites and eligibility requirements does not guarantee admission to the BSN program. It is extremely important for all applicants to have a back-up plan.
If enrolled in a previous nursing program, the School of Nursing reserves the right to request further documentation regarding your academic status.
Prerequisite Course Requirements
All applicants must complete the necessary prerequisite coursework (pdf) by the end of Mason’s spring semester (May 20).
Mason Core Requirements
- US Bachelor’s Degree: A prior bachelor’s degree, earned in the United States from an accredited institution, satisfies all Mason Core course requirements including ENGH 302
- International Bachelor’s Degree: A prior bachelor’s degree, earned internationally and determined equivalent to a four-year US bachelor’s degree may satisfy all Mason Core course requirements. Mason requires proof of English proficiency.
- Bioethics (3 cr)
- Anatomy and Physiology (8 cr)*
- Microbiology (4 cr)*
- Human Lifespan Development (3 cr)
- Statistics (3 cr)
- Nutrition (3 cr)
*Time Limits - Anatomy, Physiology, and Microbiology coursework cannot be more than five-years-old at the time of BSN enrollment. For fall 2022 admission, courses must have been completed during or after fall 2017. Courses completed during the spring or summer 2017 semester will not meet this requirement.
Visit the Transfer Credit and Transcript Evaluation page for information on course equivalency and transcript reviews.
Online BSN Application
The BSN Application process is completely online. All supporting materials are uploaded during the online BSN Application. Applicants may repeatedly log into their account to complete it.
Items uploaded as part of the online BSN Application include the following:
- unofficial transcript, one copy from each higher education institution attended
- responses to short answer prompts
- $60 non-refundable BSN Application fee*
- If applicable:
- a copy of spring course registration
- transcript evaluations of all international transcripts
- a copy of unofficial AP, IB, or CLEP scores
- a copy of active duty military ID
- a copy of any licenses or certifications
- a copy of all email correspondence with BSN Admissions Office, email@example.com
Before finally submitting the BSN Application
- Applicants may return to their BSN Application
- Applicants must upload all supporting materials
- Applicants may not access their BSN Application once submitted
- Applicants may only submit one BSN Application
Mason Students must submit an unofficial copy of your Mason transcript. If taking any spring courses, you must include your course registration.
All applicants - Please wait until your fall grades post before beginning the online BSN Application.
*The BSN Application fee is subject to change.
Short Answer Requirement
Applicants to the Accelerated Second Degree BSN program must respond to short answer prompts and submit a resume with the online BSN Application. Please review the Short Answer and Resume Requirements webpage for details on the short answer and resume.
Applicants to the Accelerated Second Degree BSN program must submit a resume with the online BSN Application. Please review the Short Answer and Resume Requirements webpage for further details on the resume.
The CHHS Office of Student Affairs will send decision letters via email by the end of March. All decisions of the Review Committee are final and cannot be appealed. Common reasons for denial include: incomplete application, nursing pre-requisite/science GPA was not competitive, received a grade below C in the required pre-requisites, and sheer volume – given the number of applications received for the limited number of clinical spaces, other applicants presented stronger applications.
We recommend that all applicants participate in our Accelerated Second Degree BSN Information Session to learn more about important application guidelines and expectations.