Application and Eligibility Guidelines for Second-Gate Application
Application Deadline: January 15, 11:59 PM (EST
- Applicant must be an incoming transfer student with no prior bachelor’s degree
- Admission to Mason as an undergraduate, degree-seeking student (non-Mason students)
- At time of BSN Application, you must have submitted Mason Admission Application and received your Mason ID number (G number)
- You may receive your Mason Admission decision after applying to the BSN program; however, Mason admission is a requirement for BSN admission
- Two of the three science nursing prerequisite courses (Anatomy and Physiology I, Anatomy and Physiology II, and Microbiology)
- Complete by the date of application, and
- No more than five-years-old at the time of enrollment in the program (refer to Nursing Prerequisite Requirements below)
- All other nursing prerequisite, Mason Core, and elective courses complete by the end of Mason’s spring term (May 20)
- No grade lower than C (not C-) in each nursing prerequisite, Mason Core, and elective course
- Minimum GPA of 3.0 in nursing prerequisite coursework
- Minimum GPA of 2.0 in Mason Core course and elective prerequisite coursework
- Submission of responses to short answer questions (topics provided by the School of Nursing)
- Submission of a resume
- Submission of the online BSN Application
Simply meeting the BSN Application prerequisites and eligibility requirements do not guarantee admission to the BSN program. It is extremely important for all applicants to have a backup plan.
If enrolled in a previous nursing program, the School of Nursing reserves the right to request further documentation regarding your academic status.
Prerequisite Course Requirements
All applicants must complete the necessary prerequisite coursework by the end of Mason’s spring semester (May 20) prior to starting the nursing curriculum in the fall.
- English Composition (3 cr)
- Communication (3 cr)
- Literature (3 cr)
- Arts (3 cr)
- Social Science (3 cr) - – If the Human Lifespan Development course is approved to meet both the Nursing Prerequisite and this Mason Core course requirement, students will need to complete three (3) additional elective credits.
- Western Civilization (3 cr)
- Global Understanding (3 cr)
- Information Technology (3 cr)
- Quantitative Reasoning (3 cr) – If the Statistics course is approved to meet both the Nursing Prerequisite and this Mason Core course requirement, students will need to complete three (3) additional elective credits.
- Electives (4-10 cr) - Refer to the Mason Catalog for recommended courses.
- Anatomy and Physiology (8 cr)*
- Microbiology (4 cr)*
- Bioethics (3 cr)
- Nutrition (3 cr)
- Human Lifespan Development (3 cr)
- Statistics (3 cr)
*Time Limits - Anatomy, Physiology, and Microbiology coursework cannot be more than five-years-old at the time of BSN enrollment. For fall 2023, courses must have been completed during or after fall 208. Courses completed during the spring or summer 2018 semester will not meet this requirement.
Visit our Transfer Credit and Transcript Evaluation page for information on course equivalency and transcript reviews.
Online BSN Application
The second-gate BSN Application is completely online. All supporting materials are uploaded during the online BSN Application. Applicants may repeatedly log into their account to complete it.
Items uploaded as part of the online BSN Application include the following:
- Unofficial transcript, one copy from each higher education institution attended
- Responses to short answer prompts
- $60 non-refundable BSN Application fee*
- If applicable:
- A copy of spring course registration
- Transcript evaluations of all international transcripts
- A copy of unofficial AP, IB, or CLEP scores
- A copy of active duty military ID
- A copy of any licenses or certifications
- A copy of all email correspondence with BSN Admissions Office, firstname.lastname@example.org
Before finally submitting the BSN Application
- Applicants may return to their BSN Application
- Applicants must upload all supporting materials
- Applicants may not access their BSN Application once submitted
- Applicants may only submit one BSN Application
Mason Students must submit an unofficial copy of your Mason transcript. If taking any spring courses, you must include your course registration.
All applicants - Please wait until all your fall grades post before beginning the BSN Application.
*The BSN Application fee is subject to change.
Applicants to the Traditional BSN program must respond to short answer prompts and submit a resume with the online BSN Application. Please review the Short Answer and Resume Requirements webpage for details on the short answer prompts and resume guidelines.
The College's Office of Student Affairs will send decision letters via email by the end of March. All decisions of the Review Committee are final and cannot be appealed. Common reasons for denial include: incomplete application, nursing pre-requisite/science GPA was not competitive, received a grade below C in the required pre-requisites, and sheer volume – given the number of applications received for the limited number of clinical spaces, other applicants presented stronger applications.
We recommend that all applicants participate in our Traditional BSN Information Session to learn more about important application guidelines and expectations.